SAN FRANCISCO—On Wednesday, March 27, a jury found awarded a man over $80 million in damages in connection to a lawsuit involving the Monsanto Co. who concealed lethal dangers of Roundup, the world’s most widely used herbicide. The victim was utilizing the herbicide on his property for more than 26 years before he was diagnosed with cancer.
In the case, Hardeman v. Monsanto the verdict read in federal district court found exposure to glyphosate, the signature ingredient in Roundup which caused plaintiff Edward Hardeman’s non-Hodgkin lymphoma.
Hardeman was diagnosed in 2015 and is now in remission. He testified that he used Roundup to control poison oak and weeds.
Agribusiness giant Monsanto, which was purchased last year by Bayer AG for $63 million, indicated that glyphosate is safe. The company said it will appeal the jury’s decision.
“We are disappointed with the jury’s decision, but this verdict does not change the weight of over four decades of extensive science and the conclusions of regulators worldwide that support the safety of our glyphosate-based herbicides and that they are not carcinogenic,” the company said in a statement.
“The verdict in this trial has no impact on future cases and trials, as each one has its own factual and legal circumstances. Bayer will appeal this verdict.”