SAN FRANCISCO—The San Francisco Fire Department  reported to 330 Clementina Street around 4:47 a.m. on Thursday, March 5 for a first alarm fire. Heavy smoke was present on the 9th and 10th floors of the building.

The SFFD did a rescue on the 6th and 9th floors. One person in “moderate condition” was taken to the hospital, while the other was cleared. It is unclear which floor the resident who needed to be hospitalized resided on.

By 6 a.m., the SFFD reported the fire had been contained, and concluded the fire started from an “electrical component” of an e-scooter. The brand of the e-scooter has not been identified. Since 2018, e-scooters became popular in San Francisco littering streets in the region.

At the time, the city banned and removed e-scooters from companies like Lime, Bird, and Spin, who later applied for a permit with the San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency for the pilot program. Companies needed to educate citizens on proper use including remaining off sidewalks and using the bike lane as scooters congested the already complicated walkways.

On September 19, 2018, Governor Jerry Brown released a bill stating a variety of new codes surrounding e-scooters including a requirement for users under 18 to wear a helmet and the proper placement of e-scooters on sidewalks to not disrupt pedestrians.

E-scooters are a useful commuter tool for citizens, who have started purchasing the devices rather than borrowing them on a daily basis. Many come with rechargeable batteries or ports and “fast charge” features for users.

The San Francisco Fire Department provided an update noting that the injured person was doing well several hours after the fire.