SAN FRANCISCO—A San Francisco Police Department officer was shot and critically injured near the Taraval District, between Sloat and Everglade Drive on Friday, October 14.  The name of the injured officer has not yet been identified.

The officer was apparently in the middle of a “manhunt” in  Sigmund Stern Grove, with other armed officers before he was shot by the suspect who was causing a disturbance and threatening people at the Lakeshore Shopping Center, the SFPD noted in a press release. When officers made contact with the suspect, the individual fired multiple shots at officers striking the SFPD officer in the head.

The injured officer’s partner provided aid as backup was requested, and the SFPD Tactical Unit devised a plan to locate the suspect. The suspect emerged from the bushes located at 28th Avenue and Vicente Street and tried to flee the location. Officers chased the suspect and a shootout occurred. The suspect was struck, but refused to comply with officers requests to discard the firearm in his hand. Flash bang devices were used to distract the suspect and authorities were able to take the individual into custody. The SFPD tweeted at 9:46 p.m. that the suspect had been successfully apprehended.

The suspect whose identity has not yet been disclosed to the public was taken to San Francisco General Hospital to be treated for injuries he sustained.

“Our thoughts are with our injured officer and his family,” said SFPD Interim Chief Toney Chaplin. “Our officers each day put their lives at risk to protect and serve San Francisco and we are grateful for the outpouring of support we saw Friday evening from San Franciscans who were concerned for the officer’s well-being.”

According to a press release from the SFPD, the injured officer was visited by SFPD Interim Chief Toney Chaplin and remains in critical, but stable condition. The suspect who shot the officer died from injuries sustained on Sunday, October 16 at 3:16 p.m. The case remains an open investigation and any with information on the incident is asked to contact the SFPD.

By Prezleigh Moy and Donald Roberts