VALLEJO—Rapper Willie Bo, whose real name is Willie McCoy, 21, was shot and killed by six Vallejo Police Department officers, in the drive through of a Taco Bell on Admiral Callaghan Lane on February 9. 

According to the San Francisco Chronicle, a witness by the name of Rolly Gabun, a resident of Vallejo recorded the incident with his smartphone as he sat and watched. Gabun indicated that he saw roughly seven armed officers approach McCoy’s vehicle yell, “Put your hands up,” before officers began to fire multiple shots.

Authorities claim that McCoy was slouched over in his silver Mercedes unresponsive with a gun sitting in his lap, and they were responding to a report of a motorist unresponsive in their car.

The officers performed a visual check to determine if other occupants were inside the vehicle and began to formulate a plan to safely resolve the situation. Two officers held their position and did not attempt to wake the driver and waited for additional officers to arrive on scene , the Vallejo Police Department indicated in a press release.

An additional patrol officer arrived on the scene and the officers decided to attempt to open the driver’s door with the intention of one officer swiftly retrieving the firearm from the subject’s lap, while another officer covered him. The vehicle was locked. The officers spotted the vehicle’s transmission was in drive. At this time, additional units arrived and the officers positioned a marked patrol vehicle in front of the subject’s vehicle to halt forward or erratic movement.

Officers requested a Patrol Supervisor to respond to the scene for further assistance and began to position a marked Vallejo police patrol car to the rear of the subject’s vehicle.

While officers were still positioning a patrol unit to the back of the vehicle, and waiting for the supervisor, McCoy started to suddenly move and looked at the uniformed patrol officers. Officers gave the driver several commands to put his hands up. McCoy did not comply and  quickly moved his hands downward for the firearm, the VPD noted.

Gabun indicated that after about twelve rounds of shots, officers continued to yell, “Put your hands up. Let me see your hands.” Also in the video that Gabun recorded, you can hear a officer on dispatch say, “All officers are OK. He’s moving, but not responsive.”

Officers removed the driver from the car and started to render medical assistance and attempted lifesaving efforts on the driver who was pronounced deceased at the scene.

The Vallejo Police Department indicated that the firearm that was recovered at the scene was reported stolen out of Oregon. The firearm was a fully loaded 40 caliber semi-automatic handgun with an extended magazine inserted in the weapon. The firearm appeared to be fully functional and has been sent to an independent crime lab for further testing.

“Any loss of life is a tragedy,” stated Police Chief Andrew Bidou. “The investigation is still in the early stages, however, the following is a summary of the events that unfolded on the night of the shooting.”

All shots were fired in approximately four seconds the Vallejo Police Department reported. The officers involved in the shooting have been placed on administrate leave.

The investigation into the shooting is ongoing.  Potential witnesses are asked to contact Detective Scott Yates at (707) 648-4533 or Detective Craig Long at (707) 648-4514.

Chandra Fleming and Donald Roberts