SAN FRANCISCO—A former UPS worker opened fire on several employees on Wednesday, June 14 at the UPS building on 17th Street and San Bruno, killing 3 people before killing himself. Officers from the San Francisco Police Department responded to a call at 8:55 a.m. of several people being shot, and discovered the suspect was inside the building when they arrived on the scene.

According to a press release from the SFPD, officers determined it was an active shooter situation and formed contact teams. Shooting victims were immediately evacuated from the building by officers to a safe location and to be treated for injuries sustained. One contact team was able to locate the suspect who was still armed with an assault pistol. He placed the gun to his head and discharged the weapon. Officers secured the weapon and administered aid to the suspect, who later died. The building was secured by officials, who reported the incident was not a form of terrorism.

A shelter in place was issued by authorities alerting the public to steer clear of the area of 17th Street and Vermont. The suspect, Jimmy Lam, 38, was wearing a UPS uniform at the time of the shooting. Lam previously filed an overtime grievance with the company the Associated Press reported. A total of 6 people were shot during the incident. The search of the site was completed and the SFPD CSI Unit continued to process the crime scene throughout the evening.

The San Francisco Police Department thanks the public safety partners who assisted in their response and investigation.

“Our partners today include the San Francisco Fire Department, Zuckerberg San Francisco General, the San Francisco Sheriff’s Department, CHP – San Francisco and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF). This is a terrible tragedy. We recognize the impact this shooting is having on the City and UPS. We are working to establish unification sites for UPS employees and their families. The @RedCrossBayArea has established one site at 500 San Bruno Avenue. Another site is at the Cordon Bleu School at 350 Rhode Island, entrance door is 100 Kansas Street,” stated the SFPD in a press release.

All witnesses have been interviewed. We are in the process of interviewing victims’ families. UPS employees were allowed to enter the facility and retrieve their belongings.  The victims have been identified as Benson Louie, 50, Michael Lefiti, 46, and Wayne Chan, 56, the San Francisco Chief Medical Examiner noted. A motive for the shooting has not yet been disclosed.

“At this point, the San Francisco Police Department is still investigating the events that occurred this morning. I want to thank our brave officers of the San Francisco Police Department, and our dedicated employees at 911 and San Francisco General Hospital.

I also want to offer my condolences and thoughts for the individuals and families affected by the senseless act of violence at the UPS facility. We all know the familiar faces of our local UPS drivers and delivery persons. Today’s tragedy will be felt in every community served by these committed employees.

We are always saddened when someone loses a life to gun violence. Even one shooting and one victim is too many,” said SF Mayor Edwin M. Lee in a statement.

The SFPD Homicide Detail is investigating this incident and is asking anyone with information to contact our Tipline at (415) 575-4444.