SAN FRANCISCO—Thirty people who were aboard a capsized power boat in the San Francisco Bay on Saturday, October 8, including three children were rescued.

The U.S. Coast Guard received word that a boat had overturned about 100 yards off Pier 45 at approximately 4:02 p.m. The 34-foot boat, named Khaleesi, was sinking while passengers were trapped beneath the hull, according to reports.

The San Francisco Fire Department tweeted the incident.
The San Francisco Fire Department tweeted the incident.

Some first responders were conducting safety patrols in the area for Fleet Week and able to respond immediately. In a coordinated effort between bystanders, police, firefighters and the Coast Guard, crews were able to rescue all 30 passengers in just 32 minutes.

When fire officials were informed of the accident, they declared a red alert – so that all area trauma centers would be prepared.

One child, a 4 year-old boy, was pulled from the cabin moments before it sunk, police said; he wasn’t conscious or breathing upon being rescued. The boy was revived before being taken to Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital, where he was listed in serious condition. The child has recovered and was discharged on Monday, October 10, a spokesperson for the San Francisco Department of Public Health told San Francisco News.

In all, five adults and three children were hospitalized; none of the injuries sustained were life threatening.

“This could have been really, really catastrophic,” said San Francisco Assistant Fire Chief Bob Postel.

By mid-day Saturday, officials had dropped an orange buoy marking where they believe the boat is resting. The boat owner has agreed to pay a salvage company to retrieve it, according to the Coast Guard.

“Strong operational partnerships among maritime agencies in the Bay Area were critical today, both in ensuring the waterside security of the Fleet Week air show events, and in emergency response resulting in the rescue of 30 people from the frigid bay waters,” said Capt. Tony Ceraolo, commander of Coast Guard Sector San Francisco, in a statement.

Investigators are looking into whether or not the boat was overloaded and if there were enough life jackets aboard, according to reports.