SAN FRANCISCO—The San Francisco District Attorney’s Office revealed on Wednesday, May 9 that Willie Rodriguez, 72, of San Francisco, was sentenced to 8 years in state prison for molesting a 9-year-old child who he considered to be his granddaughter. A jury found Rodriguez guilty of committing lewd acts on a minor and child molestation.

“The actions of this individual violate our basic notions of family and trust,” said District Attorney George Gascón. “Children are meant to be protected by their loved ones, not violated by those entrusted with their well-being.”

In a press release from the SFDA’s Office, court records indicated that on May 22, 2014, the victim, a young girl, and her mother called the San Francisco Police Department to report the details of ongoing and repeated abuse the girl suffered by Rodriguez over the span of several years. Rodriguez repeatedly molested the victim during her third and fourth grade years of school.

During one incident after school, Rodriguez brought the victim into the bathroom of her home where the two were alone. He unzipped his pants and removed his penis and began pleasuring himself in front of her with one hand. With his other hand, he touched her breast in an attempt to further arouse himself.

In another incident, Rodriguez entered the young girl’s room where she was on her bed watching TV. He asked her if she wanted to see something. When she turned her attention to him, he unzipped his pants and exposed his penis to her despite her attempts to turn away. Rodriguez shares no biological relationship with the victim. He was a close friend of her mother. During the period of his repeated abuse, he spent nights at her home under the pretense of being there to support her and her family.

“I am in awe of the courage and resolve that the young girl in this case showed by describing the details of what happened to her,” said Assistant District Attorney Adam Maldonado. “She deserves all the credit for the outcome in this case.”

The Honorable Samuel Feng presided. This successful prosecution is the result of an excellent investigation conducted by San Francisco Police Department Lieutenant Nicole Jones. Special thanks go to District Attorney Inspector Lisette Souza, Victim Advocate Mirelle Raza, and Paralegal Nina Stellini. Assistant District Attorney Adam Maldonado prosecuted the case.