SAN FRANCISCO—Officers from the San Francisco Police Department shot and wounded a man Friday, January 6 after police responded to a dispute between neighbors, indicated SFPD spokeswoman Officer Giselle Talkoff.

Authorities arrived at the 500 block of Capital Avenue in the city’s Ocean View neighborhood around 3:51 a.m. after one neighbor reported another neighbor was banging on a wall and was in violation of a restraining order.

Upon arrival, two uniformed policer officers attempted to speak with the 42-year-old unidentified man involved in the dispute. The suspect became physically violent and officers pepper-sprayed him. The suspect grabbed one of the officer’s baton and shots were fired, Talkoff said.

The suspect was struck by gunfire, but he managed to barricade himself inside his home and refused to come outside.

“[The officers] went to great lengths to calm and subdue the angry, violent suspect, using ‘time and distance’ techniques,” said Martin Halloran, The San Francisco Police Officer’s Association President.

A tactical officer talked with the suspect and tried to persuade him to surrender. The suspect called 911 from inside and reported that he was shot, but still would not come outside,

SWAT was eventually deployed and officers entered the building and arrested the suspect. The suspect was transported to a hospital with non-life threatening injuries

Two officers were injured during the confrontation, one suffered a non-life-threatening head injury, and the other officer’s injuries are unknown.

The suspect allegedly made threatening remarks to the family next door after a criminal protective order was granted when the suspect allegedly assaulted the family’s adult son in 2011, according to a temporary restraining order filed in December 2016 the SF Gate reported.

The 42-year-old man pleaded not guilty or no contest to a misdemeanor assault charge against a neighbor in 2013 and was sentenced to 60 days in county jail and three-years probation, according to court records.

The shooting is under investigation by SFPD.