SAN FRANCISCO—A Sunset District resident reported finding pesticides in her drinking water after running a test she bought off Amazon on Monday, October 8. 

“The San Francisco Public Utilities Commission is conducting extensive water quality testing in and around the Sunset District after hearing concerns about water quality from a customer,” said Tyler Gamble to San Francisco News.

Water quality is taken seriously and they are running tests out of an abundance of caution and have found no evidence of unsafe water.

According to city records, about 85 percent of San Francisco’s drinking water supply is supplied by Hetch Hetchy and local reservoirs provide the remaining 15 percent.

In April 2017, the SFPUC began blending groundwater and delivering into Sunset and Sutro reservoirs. Both reservoirs serve 60 percent of the city that receive blended water. The SFPUC developed a comprehensive water quality monitoring program. It analyzes both the water from the individual production wells and blended water supplied to customers.

San Francisco Water Power Sewer tweeted:

“We received a report from a customer who said that their water tasted funny. We have no evidence of any water quality issues at this time. We are testing the customer’s water and other locations out of abundance of caution.”

“After getting reports from a customer saying that her water tasted funny a water quality team met with the resident to determine what type of test kit was used, identify the water source used for the test, review test results, and perform official water quality tests,” Gamble told San Francisco News.

Over 20 samples were sent to an independent lab in Southern California for testing, including Dianne Feinstein Elementary.

These test are being expedited and are expected early next week. Once the test results are in they will be made public. As of now the water is safe to drink.

“The SFPUC will schedule a community meeting to talk through the results and answer any questions related to water quality and the groundwater project,” said Gamble to San Francisco News.

Residents should report all water quality issues to 311.