SAN FRANCISCO—Three people died after a car chase pursuit ensued on Saturday, February 6 in San Francisco. California Highway Patrol officers reported a white Chevrolet driving recklessly around 9:20 p.m. at Fifth and Bryant Street. The officer stated the vehicle was spinning in donuts in the middle of the street approximately two miles away from Super Bowl City festivities.

The officer proceeded to follow the vehicle on Fifth Street until it was stopped at a red light. The vehicle then accelerated and ran the light, according to the CHP.

The driver ignored all requests from the officer to stop, the officer eventually decided to stop the chase pursuit due to safety reasons after the vehicle drove through multiple red lights. Shortly after the pursuit, the police officer saw the Chevrolet drive a few blocks down before hitting a taxicab and bursting into flames on 9th and Brannan streets.

Paramedics and fire units arrived on scene, but all passengers were pronounced dead at the scene. Officials found two men dead inside the vehicle burned badly and a third man who had been thrown from the car near the site of the crash, said CHP officials. The victims have not been identified as of Sunday, February 7.

The CHP officer stated the chase only lasted about 10 to 15 seconds. The officer felt it would be too dangerous to pursue a chase only miles away from sites with mass crowds from Super Bowl City concert attendees. According to police reports, the three male victims were leaving the Moscone Center after attending the NFL Experience.

In a statement given by the commander of the CHP from the San Francisco office, Captain Christopher Sherry stated: “The CHP is committed to thoroughly and professionally investigating this incident. I want to offer my sincere condolences to the involved families of the three young men who have passed away in this traumatic event. This tragedy has deeply affected all of us at the CHP.” 

The taxi driver was reported to have sustained non life-threatening injuries to his head and was taken to the hospital.