PORTLAND, OR—On Sunday, July 26, the Portland Police Department announced via social media that they made arrests downtown amid dispersing crowds in the morning on Sunday, July 26. A statement of the case with details were uploaded to the government website.

Portland Police released the information of the arrested people:
-Dana Parks, 29, Portland (resident)
-Rhys Alan Wiski-Sutton, 29
-Christopher J. Briggs, 29
-Mackenzie D. Kirsch, 28
-Ahnauna Andrews, 24, Portland (resident)
-Zachary A. Trudo, 32, Hillsboro (resident)

All of the individuals arrested were booked at the Multnomah County booking facility. According to the statement on the city’s website, on Saturday, July 25, there were  groups of people gathered throughout the city of Portland. People were taking up the streets and demonstrating. The largest group gathered outside the federal courthouse and the Justice Center which is located on SW 3rd Avenue. They also took up parks and some other streets which are nearby the federal courthouse. Thousands of people stayed at SW 3rd Avenue for hours.

“There were thousands gathered. Throughout the night some people in this crowd spent their time shaking the fence around the building, throwing rocks, bottles, and assorted debris over the fence, shining lasers through the fence, firing explosive fireworks into the area blocked by the fence, and using power tools to try to cut through the fence. People wore gas masks, carried shields, hockey sticks, leaf blowers, flags, and umbrellas specifically to thwart police in crowd dispersal or attempt to conceal criminal acts. People against the fence sprayed unknown liquids toward the courthouse. People tied rope to the fence and attempted to pull it down,” reads the descriptions of the activity from the statement.

Around 1:03 a.m. on July 26, people broke a part of the fence down climbing across it to get closer to the courthouse. Many people started lighting fires through SW 3rd Avenue.

Around 1:20 a.m.,  people in the crowd continued the violence. The Portland Police Department gave public address announcements to lead people to leave and implemented a series of measures.

“Portland Police gave public address announcements directing everyone to leave to the west, closing the area bounded by SW 1st Avenue and SW Broadway to SW Columbia Street to SW Harvey Milk Street. Portland Police declared a riot based on the conduct of people in the crowd and gave repeated warnings that anyone who remained may be subject to arrest or citation and may be subject to force including impact weapons or tear gas,” reads the statement.

It took authorities almost an hour to make people leave the area. Around 2:25 a.m., they disengaged from the groups of people, making a couple of arrests during the dispersal.

For more details on the arrests made, visit www.portlandoregon.gov.