SAN FRANCISCO—Officers from the Bayview Station of the San Francisco Police Department apprehended a suspect who was making threats with a gasoline bomb or “Molotov cocktail” on August 6. According to a press release from the SFPD, at approximately 9: 40 p.m. on August 6, Bayview Station officers responded to the 2100 block of Jennings Street about a male subject making threats to use a Molotov cocktail. While en route, officers were informed the subject was reportedly also in possession of a pipe bomb.

After arriving on the scene, officers made contact with the suspect, a 30 year-old San Francisco resident, whose name has not yet been released to the public. The individual spoke briefly with police officers, but walked away refusing to further speak to them. One of the officers noted a clear bottle containing an unknown liquid in the subject’s rear pocket. The subject removed the bottle from his pocket, poured the contents over himself and began walking towards the officers. At approximately 90 feet away, the subject uttered remarks about officers not turning their backs on him and referenced police shootings.

When the subject was within 50 feet of the officers, he produced a cigarette lighter and set himself on fire. As the fire spread and engulfed his upper body, the subject advanced on several officers at a fast pace, closing the distance between them.

Officers reacted quickly to create time and distance as the subject moved towards them. After approximately 10 seconds, the subject stopped and began to strip off his clothing. As backup officers arrived, the subject was handcuffed and taken into custody. San Francisco Fire Department medics arrived and provided treatment to the subject.

“Despite the imminent danger posed by the fire and the possibility of an explosive device, these officers followed their training to create time and distance to help keep the situation from escalating further,” said San Francisco Police Chief William Scott. “Our members are committed to keeping our City safe by using smart strategies and tactics that prioritize the protection of human lives.”

During the course of a preliminary investigation, officers learned that prior to their arrival on the scene; the individual chased a female victim who ran into a premise on the 2100 block of Jennings Street. At the time, the subject was holding something in his hand and threatened to light it and to set her on fire.

The subject was transported to a hospital for treatment and evaluation. Upon release from the hospital, the individual is expected to be charged with aggravated assault and possession of an incendiary device.